The 1895 Public School
The two-story schoolhouse opened in September 1895 and is located at 799 W. Skippack Pike, Blue Bell on the corner of Skippack Pike and School Road. The schoolhouse served to consolidate students from several one-room schoolhouses in the area and to provide the first public high school, grades nine to eleven, in this rural area. The schoolhouse is almost completely original inside and out and is a fine example of an authentic schoolhouse of the period. It continues to serve the community as the Headquarters of the Wissahickon Valley Historical Society.
The interior and exterior of the Whitpain 1895 Public School are remarkably original. The interior of the schoolhouse is of the late 19th century, complete with its original slate chalkboards, wooden plank floors and large glass windows. The front and side yards of the schoolhouse still retain its original fieldstone walls in an essentially unchanged condition at the street edges. The Whitpain 1895 Public School maintains the overall likeness one would expect for that period, except the space is used now as a museum and library rather than a classroom.
Click here for more information on the 1895 Schoolhouse.
The Franklinville School
The Franklinville School c. 1858 is a white stucco one-room schoolhouse on an acre of ground, located at 1701 Morris Road, Blue Bell, between Normandy Farms Estates and the Windermere Community. It is the only one-room schoolhouse open to the public in Whitpain Township.
The Franklinville School has been a community staple for years serving as a meeting place for social clubs, community events, school field trips, historical society open houses and other public functions. The Franklinville School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December 2014. The Historical Society of Whitpain merged with the Wissahickon Valley Historical Society in January 2015.
Scheduled Open Houses at the Franklinville School are listed in the Events Calendar. Private tours may also be scheduled by contacting the WVHS directly.
The Franklinville School is not handicap accessible and does not have heat, air conditioning or running water. Parking is in front of the white wooden fence on Morris Road with the entrance to the left of the fence.
Click here for more information on the Franklinville School.
Wissahickon Valley Historical Society is a certified 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization